Racepak.com

Data Acquisition, Performance Instrumentation & Power Distribution
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gear Indicator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 pm 

I have a black G2X in my motorcycle powered formula car (GSXR600).
Does anyone know if I can get gear information displayed directly on the dash (rather than doing the calculation)?

Thanks,
George
Huntsville, AL

Post subject: Re: Gear Indicator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:50 pm 

George

You can program the gear indicator by driving the vehicle. The process requires a working/accurate tach signal and GPS speed. The actual programming steps can be found in the G2X manual, in the section regarding the Programming of the Dash, Setup 2.

Thanks
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 pm 

I understand the programming approach. I was wondering if I could plug the indicator signal directly into the dash somehow to read the actual gear i'm in rather than calculating it from speed and rpm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:39 pm 

To do that would require the ability to obtain the signal from the factory gear indicator sensor (assuming it is 0-5V signal), input it into a Vnet sensor module, connect that to the Vnet port of the data logger, then if possible, calibrate the sensor..not impossible but can be an expensive and time consuming process.

Thanks

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 pm 

Tim is probably correct, but there is a slim chance he is overstating the complexity.
What is for sure is that you need to purchase more Racepak hardware. The usual advice would be a Universal Sensor Module. This will expand your data capacity by adding four possible additional external channels.

Also for sure is the need for programming - it will not be a simple "plug and play" style procedure.

However, it is not necessarily complicated.
The complexity will depend on the signal that you can extract from the GSX hardware. :?:
I've successfully achieved the result you might desire, which given the nature of the bike style sequential gear shift is certainly desirable, being a display of what gear is selected when the vehicle is stationary. However, I was working with bespoke race hardware, rather than mass produced.
The best outcome that you might hope for, assuming the given of 1st, 2nd etc displaying 1, 2... is that neutral displays 0. However, this will not necessarily be possible without custom electronics. Most production gear indicator displays use a microprocessor and digital logic. Thus, the output you can pick off may not be nicely analogue and suitable for direct input to the Racepak module.

The first step is to find and measure the output...

Good luck :!:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm 

When using an EFI interface that provides the Gear Selected Info, how can that info be displayed in the GPS/Gear display on the G2X Dash?

Thanks

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm 

Bob

I would program either Display 1, 2 or 3 for the EFI gear position data.

Thanks

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

As a follow up to the question, on of our customers supplied the following information, as taken from an online forum discussion
related to running a Suzuki engine

You need to wire a 2000 ohm resistor onto the end of the pink wire. Then connect the end of the resistor to your 5V power source and connect your signal wire to where the resistor and the pink wire are connected. The black wire will be your ground and the blue wire is not used. If you want a dedicated neutral light on your dash, hook a 12V power source to one side of a light and then connect the other side of the light to the blue wire. When in neutral, the gear position sensor shorts the blue wire to ground, thus completing the circuit and lighting up the neutral light. Hope this helps.

Thanks
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:09 am 

Hi Everyone,

I am doing the same thing with a GSX 1000 powered racecar and a red G2X. I have hooked it all up and programed the channel and it is all working well. The problem I have is, I would like the gear number to be displayed on the dash all the time, so that i can see what gear the car is in at all times without doing 25kph. Is this possible?

Thanks
Stewart