Racepak.com

Data Acquisition, Performance Instrumentation & Power Distribution
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm 

How does this unit handle the inrush current spike of lets say an electric fan. Ive found that most fans will draw between 12-18a running, but the inrush current spike at turn-on I've seen up to 70a (for maybe 8ms). Can the smartwire circuitry handle that type of current momentarily? If not, am I able to program a PWM output for maybe 2-3 seconds to get the fan up to speed while limiting the amount of current then just supply constant voltage? Will it trigger a "blown fuse" alert immediately?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 am 

From the manual:
'the output current can exceed the current fuse limitation for short periods of time (typically <4 seconds). Should the current exceed the fuse setting for extended periods (i.e. more than 5-10 seconds) the output will be deactivated'

The max capacity of the Smartwire is 125 amps, hopefully Racepak will respond, but I guess as as long as the max load is not simultaneously exceeded then it should be OK...

What you could do is parallel 2 x 20amp channels together (if you have them spare) this will give some headroom on the fan. Whilst defeating the purpose a bit you could run a relay to the fan(s) and have the smartwire trigger the relay.

Alternatively can your ECU be used to control the fans?